Drop Database - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Forest W Felling
Subject Drop Database
Date
List pgsql-novice
I can not find an explanation to help me understand why
mydb=# drop database November;
fails, while
[Forest-Fellings-Computer:~] dropdb -i -e November
succeeds.

Will appreciate any help to point me to an understanding of this.

Mac OS 10.2.2; PostgreSQL 7.2.3
Learning SQL with "Practical PostgreSQL" by Worsley & Drake, "PostgreSQL Essential Reference" by Barry Stinson, "SQL for Smarties" by Joe Celko and the docs downloaded from http://www.postgresql.org. Can not find an answer in any of these books.

Complete shell listing follows.

mydb=# \l
        List of databases
   Name    |  Owner   | Encoding
-----------+----------+----------
 November  | fwf      | UNICODE
 booktown  | fwf      | UNICODE
 homepage  | mitch    | UNICODE
 hospice   | fwf      | UNICODE
 mydb      | fwf      | UNICODE
 template0 | postgres | UNICODE
 template1 | postgres | UNICODE
(7 rows)

mydb=# drop database November;
ERROR:  DROP DATABASE: database "november" does not exist
mydb=# \q
[Forest-Fellings-Computer:~] fwf% dropdb -i -e November
Database "November" will be permanently deleted.
Are you sure? (y/n) y
DROP DATABASE "November"
DROP DATABASE
[Forest-Fellings-Computer:~] fwf%